Friday, December 5, 2008

It Feels Good to Give

We give regularly to the homeless ministry at my church. There's room on a first-come, first-served basis for 16 guests in the courtyard of the church offices nightly. A guard is provided for their safety. Breakfast is served to them every morning. On Christmas and Easter, our church family's donations even send them to a motel for the holiday. I can't tell you how wonderful it feels ot be a part of it.

Yet, while that feels great, there's something so special about a direct connection. Our niece lost her husband early this year. He was only 41. On the months when we could write a check to the special fund set aside for her two children, I felt like the richest woman on earth in love and spirit. When we can "help take care of our own," it feels so right. I happened to recall yesterday (my mind must have been giving me a preview of this post!) the several times I have helped friends out with gifts of time or treasure in hard times. There is nothing I do more willingly with less thought of return, because to me, it's the kind of act that is the essence of friendship and family.

Joyce Mason
Member, Boomer Diva Nation

No comments: