Saturday, December 6, 2008

When God Speaks--Are You Listening?

Recently I was praying to be a blessing to someone and for God to put someone in my path to do something for, like we have talked about.

I was on my way home from doing some errands and stopped in to the Dollar General store. I was browsing through the aisles and saw a lady, whom I recognized from a local TV show. She sings, prays, and teaches and is an angelic, unpretentious woman. She spoke to me and handed me a bookmark and told me that God would watch over me, or something similar. I accepted the bookmark and thanked her.

When I got to the register to pay, I was on the phone and not paying any attention to what was going on, except that she was in front of me and paying for her items. When I got off the phone, she was looking around on the floor. She said she had dropped her change and was short 2 pennies. I started looking around on the floor for her money and she went outside the store. I noticed that she had a buggy of items that had not been rung up yet. The cashier said that she had gone to her car to find money to pay for the other order...she was missing 2 cents on her first order, so I gave it to the cashier. That's when she told me that the lady had gone to her car to get more money.

Well, I could see her looking around in her car, and I felt compelled to pay for her other items when I paid for mine. I didn't notice how much she had, after all it was the Dollar Store, how much could it be? It didn't matter, I was going to be obedient, because I had prayed today to be a blessing to someone. I was a bit alarmed at the amount, but I know God will supply the money.

I wrote the check and carried the bags out to her. She could not believe that I had paid for her items. She hugged me and started to thank me over and over. I told her it was MY honor to do it.

I went back into the store to get my bags. She came back into the store,hugged me, and while she was hugging me she prayed a short prayer...something about filling my storehouses. It was precious! She told me that she had never heard of anything so sweet as what I did.

I didn't feel that it was me being sweet, just being obedient and seeing a need. I told her I was just paying it forward (because I had been the recipient at other times). She said her children and granchildren thanked me, too.

It was such a blessed experience! If God so chooses to bless me financially some day, I want to do lots of things like this. I want to be a blessing to someone EVERY day to demonstrate Christ's love through me in a tangible way.

Anyway, thank you for allowing me to share my joy.

Pam Archer
Member, Boomer Diva Nation

1 comment:

Betty Lynch said...

This is what the meaning of Christmas is all about. Helping others without expecting something in return. I applaud you Pam!

Blessings,

Betty